What is a Home Care Package?
If you’re receiving a pension but need some support at home, a Home Care Package (HCP) may be just what you need.
The Australian Government funds Home Care Packages to help older people and people with complex needs to stay independent, in their own home and active in their community.
How are Home Care Packages funded?
Home support services are subsidised by the Australian Government - your level of funding depends upon what kind of services you need and your financial situation. The more support you need, the more funding you receive.
What kind of help will a Home Care Package give me?
- Help around the house such as housekeeping, laundry, maintenance, light gardening, help with meals and more.
- Help to keep active such as organising transport, outings, trips and holidays.
- Help with personal care such as showering and grooming.
- Help to support your carers by giving them a break with day or overnight care.
- Help look after your health with nursing, allied health services, counselling and more.
- Help with making your home safe with modifications, maintenance and assistive products like walking frames and shower chairs.
What kinds of Home Care Packages are there?
There are four levels of Home Care Packages based on the level of care you need:
- Level 1: Basic care needs
- Level 2: Low-level care needs
- Level 3: Intermediate care needs
- Level 4: High-level care needs
How do I access these services?
Your first step is to contact My Aged Care to arrange an interview. Call 1800 200 422 or visit www.myagedcare.gov.au.
They will give you a quick assessment over the phone to understand your needs. If it’s likely you need a Home Care Package, a member of your local Aged Care Assessment Team will visit you at home to determine the level of care you need.
This sounds complicated. Who can help me figure this out?
Home Care Packages are delivered by service providers such as The Benevolent Society, who support, advise and manage your home care funds to give you the best possible care.
We will assign you a Home Support Partner as a consistent point of contact to help you navigate the system. They will develop a personalised support plan so you get the best value for your money, and check in to make sure your needs are being met.
We have dedicated resources to help you through the process of applying for a Home Care Package. For more information get in touch online or call us on 1800 236 726